Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Two New Day Trips

It was a difficult decision. Which two, out of about 92 possibilities, should I add to the 2nd Edition of Cruising Connecticut with a Picnic Basket? (Release date: April 10, 2008)

I knew I wanted another winery to add to the two I already have, because the number of Connecticut wineries has grown so fast during the last few years ~ there are fifteen listed on the Wine Trail ~ I thought this category was deserving of a third day trip. Also, during my book talks around the state and sharing information about Haight-Brown Vineyard and Hopkins Vineyard, folks would ask me if I knew about this or that winery, and I was anxious to check them out. By chance, Gouveia in Wallingford happened to be first on my list. I was immediately impressed, not only because of the visual appeal, both inside and out, but by talking with Joe Gouveia. He had an interesting story to tell, and because I am a storyteller, this excited me. But, the clincher was the incredible picnic facilities; I was blown away and you will be too. Read more on Page 214 on my book.

The second new day trip is The Mark Twain House & Museum in Hartford, a premier tourist attraction in Connecticut. I love the research part of writing a travel book, and one of my favorite categories is Historic Homes & Gardens because of the interesting characters I get to know: The Boothe Brothers, Florence Griswold, William Gillette, the Harkness Family, Henry Bowen, and now Mark Twain. Read more about this fascinating man and his home on Page 102.

And, as Twain said, "It is of no use to keep private information which you can't show off" so I will also give you a sneak preview of the fantastic recipes included with each day trip: Prudence Sloan, Radio & TV Food Show Host gives us a Spanish Tapas picnic, and a Cold Lobster Salad Roll is the creation of Adam Alderin, Chef at Max Fish, the Max Group's newest restaurant in Glastonbury. Yum!

No comments: