Sunday, July 26, 2009

Good News for Book Lovers

The Connecticut Author Trail (http://sites.google.com/site/connecticutauthortrail), a consortium of libraries in Eastern Connecticut, will host 16 local authors as they showcase their books and share their stories. I was pleased to be invited by the Lebanon Library to talk about my book, Cruising Connecticut with a Picnic Basket on July 21st and had an amazing experience. The event runs to September 24 when the finale takes place at The Mohegan Sun.

After my talk, the librarian gave me a packet of materials about Lebanon's beautiful and historic mile-long green, one of the largest in New England. The green is on the National Register of Historic Places because of its rich agricultural and Revolutionary War Heritage.

I heard about this green prior to my visit and intended to arrive one hour early so I could walk the path around the green and have a picnic supper, however, the weather did not cooperate. (What else is new!) So, it is now on my list of "Things to Do." I plan to start at The Lebanon Historical Society Museum and Visitors Center where there is an orientation video, library, shop and visitor information, and then visit any of six historic buildings clustered at the southerly end. In addition, many other buildings can be viewed along the trail.

Lebanon is a member of the Northeast Connecticut Visitors District known as the "Quiet Corner", and residents and visitors enjoy community activities on the green year-round. Check out this special place on http://www.historyoflebanon.org/.

I am constantly amazed that even with all my fervent Connecticut day tripping through the years, there are still so many exciting places I have yet to visit. But, first I will take a hiatus from Cruising Connecticut to cruise cross-country.

More about this upcoming adventure next week!

No comments: