Tuesday, February 24, 2009

National Banana Bread Day

February 23 was National Banana Bread Day, and although my schedule for yesterday was carefully planned so I would have time to post my incredible recipe for Banana Bread, it was not to be.

First, I had to make an emergency visit to the car dealer, and when I finally got to the library around mid-afternoon, I found I couldn't get on the internet because my wireless adapter had broken. Off to the store for a replacement and back again to discover the library was getting ready to close.

So, I am a day late. Nevertheless, in honor of National Banana Bread Day, here is one of my favorite recipes from my book, Cruising Connecticut with a Picnic Basket. I hope you enjoy it.

BEST EVER BANANA NUT BREAD
(My Aunt Madeline's recipe dates back more than 75 years. If you like your bread sweet and moist, you will probably agree this really is the best.)

3/4 cup butter
1-1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup mashed bananas
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup chopped walnuts

* Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
* Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and sour cream, mixing well. In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Add this mix to creamed mixture alternately with the bananas. Stir in vanilla and nuts.
* Pour into greased and floured 9x5-inch loaf pan.
* Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and bread breaks away slightly from the edge of pan. Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes; remove from pan and finish cooling on rack.

No comments: