Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Yikes, this Winter is no Picnic!

Just one week ago, I attempted to flee Connecticut for kinder temperatures in Florida, but found I couldn't outrun the weather. I was delayed for two days waiting for the ice storm to pass. But, I'm here now and since I'm fortunate enough to be able to enjoy a few weeks reprieve from the wintry mix back home, I won't complain about a couple of days' delay.

While I am here, I plan to get out for a walk every day, spend time on my photography, and have lots of beach picnics. I'll let you know how the picnicking works out in future blogs. In the meantime, start getting ready for your own spring picnic, no matter where you live. First, make a list and shop for the staples you need to fill your picnic basket: dishes, cups, silverware, napkins (I find great bargains for cloth napkins during Kohls sales days) and assorted utensils. Being prepared ahead of time means you can pick up and go in a moment's notice. Then, take a mental escape from winter by planning when and where your first picnic of 2009 will take place.

In Connecticut, mine is usually on the first day of spring (March 20th.) Hopefully, it is under a sunny, blue sky, but what to do when the weather does not cooperate? No need to abandon your plans when there are plenty of places to picnic under cover, indoors, or even in the car (preferably while parked at a scenic location!)

I'll post my most memorable rainy-day picnic in a future blog, but I'd like to hear from other picnic aficionados out there. Tell me about your unusual or creative picnic during less than ideal weather. The most memorable entry will receive a copy of my book, Cruising Connecticut with a Picnic Basket, a day tripping, picnicking and recipe book. Send your email by January 31, 2009 to jan@cruisingconnecticut.com. Type "Picnic Entry" in the subject line.

In the meantime, may all your future picnics be sunny, or at least memorable!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your Blog!!! Great Job!!! It's honest, real, and FUN.