Monday, December 22, 2008

A White Christmas

There is no doubt we will have a white Christmas in Connecticut this year. And, I'm happy about that. But, I was not happy when I had to miss A Christmas Carol at the Hartford Stage on Friday because of the first snowstorm, OR the Connnecticut Authors and Publishers Association holiday party on Saturday because it took me so long to shovel my car out, OR the shopping and lunch date with my daughter today because a second storm hit on the heels of the first.

I tried to take it in my stride since a lot of folks missed more important events, like a friend who was supposed to fly to California on Thursday but didn't get off until today. Now that called for a pity party.

To get in the mood for baking and gift wrapping today, I got out my holiday CD's and sang along with the old crooners, Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby and Dean Martin. The music, plus a glass of wine, got me right into the holiday spirit!

During the next couple of weeks, I hope to take a drive to one of the light shows around the state. The 45th Annual Festival of Lights on Constitution Plaza is lit every day at dusk until January 6th, and the Festival of Silver Lights at Hubbard Park in Middletown is open from dusk to dawn every day through January 7th. Also, luminary candles will light up the Town of Woodbury on Christmas Eve, and hopefully West Hartford will get to light their 400 luminaries on the lawn of the West Hartford Art League Saltbox Gallery. It was postponed two Fridays ago because of the weather and re-scheduled for this past Friday, but with the storm, assume they had to postpone it again! Some towns, like Watertown have posted a map that drivers can follow to view all the spectular houses decorated for the holidays.

What about your town? Are there any special outdoor displays or light shows? Let me know and I'll share them with my readers in next week's blog.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

No comments: